Saturday, June 21, 2008

Re-post: And now for something controversial - Jan 07

The Commission for Social Care Inspection has just published their State of Social Care report, in which it claims that "Individuals and families are increasingly having to find and pay for their own care."

Well, here's a new idea: Instead of putting your children into full-time state-funded daycare from as early an age as possible, so that you can go out to work and buy things you might not actually need, thereby becoming less familiar with and more isolated from them as they grow up so that by the time they're adults you're all essentially strangers; instead of spending your children's childbearing years reclaiming your own youth, working for more stuff you might not need, going off on holidays you really, if you're honest, might not even enjoy that much and becoming even more distanced from your family so that by the time you really need them they barely know you and anyway are following your example and busy having 'lives of their own'; Instead of putting off having children because they're expensive or not convenient or you never quite 'met the right person'... try doing the opposite!

If everyone lived a more natural family life instead of thoughtlessly living by state-imposed, state-serving (by 'state' I really mean corporate business interests) mantras like 'every child must go to school', 'relative poverty is a serious problem' and so on, the numbers of elderly people left reliant on care from stangers would be drastically reduced. In fact, strong, home-based family networks tend to look out for their neighbours too, so the reliance on state care would be virtually eliminated. In fact, reliance on the state would be virtually eliminated! And then where would we be? ;-)

In a much better place than we are now, in my opinion, with far fewer problems.

7 Comments:

Qalballah said...

Amen.
4:17 PM, January 12, 2007


IndigoShirl said...

Well Said.....:~)


5:47 PM, January 12, 2007


Ruth said...

Good post Gill.
8:27 PM, January 12, 2007

Amanda said...

This is an interesting post, I really enjoyed reading it :0) but I don't see how it would work :0( Most of my friends have waited until they have met the right person/got some security before having kids. Most of them work because they have to/need to. I do know what you're saying though. But its a hard cycle to break...
I've been in a situation where I have looked after a dependent relative, I personally would'nt do it again.
1:47 PM, January 13, 2007

UmSuhayb b David said...

living in Sweden, the state encourages us to send kids to daycare from age 1, way too young I think. I'm some sort of misfit when I say I'm a housewife, the swedish word for it in fact is hardly ever used (I was given a questionnaire to fill in by the Health visitor and I couldn't find a box to tick which showed my 'occupation'!) In the end the questionnaire went in the bin.. anyway!
3:15 PM, January 14, 2007

Unshelled said...

Hi, meant to do that earlier ...

I love how you really get straight down to it and as they say call 'a spade a spade'......

Bws
Michelle
4:44 PM, January 14, 2007


Gill said...

Thanks all. I see even Melanie Phillips kind of agrees with me, which is slightly worrying TBH!

Yes, it's a hard cycle to break, but well worth the effort I think.
11:27 AM, January 15, 2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home