Thursday, August 14, 2008

Work goes stale

Zara and I were chatting about work yesterday, and we came to the conclusion that like old food, if it's not attended to in the right time and the right way, work goes stale.

My mother-in-law used to say: "There's nowt keeps like work", but I disagree. It doesn't keep well at all.

Zara explained: "If I start to tidy my bedroom and get halfway through, then give up and do something else, it's nearly impossible to finish the job because it's gone stale and the moment has passed."

I was talking about tidying up too, and washing dishes. I'd gone to bed leaving it undone the night before and woke up to two-hours' worth of stale work the next morning. Never again! I want to do it while it's fresh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Allie said...

Yes, I agree.

Washing up is certainly harder when you've left it. If I have washing up to do then I always regret leaving it 'til 'later'. I have to fight myself and I build up dread and decide I'm too exhausted...

August 15, 2008 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger Gill said...

Washing up is the biggie, but it applies to anything procrastinated over IMO.

On the other hand, I'm just learning (at the age of 40!) to pace myself with long-term jobs and not try to do them all at once. Not a lot of choice with the field project. There's a big difference between procrastination and dividing work into sections to do over a period of time. But that could turn into procrastination too..

August 16, 2008 at 7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home